Papanui Primary School is a state funded school catering for new entrants to Year 6 children. We are a decile 6 school with a roll that ranges between 200 -230. Our children are predominantly European (78%) and Maori (16%) with the remaining children from other ethnic backgrounds including; Pasifika, Japanese, Chinese.
The school is located in northern Christchurch and most children are from the immediate area around the school. An enrolment scheme and school zone is in place. All Out of Zone places available for 2018 have been filled. There will be a ballot for Out of Zone enrolments for 2018 contact the contact as soon as possible if you wish to be in the 2018 ballot.
The school is set in spacious and well planted grounds that include a large grass playing field, large sealed areas and two playgrounds. The school buildings consist of two classroom blocks that include a hall, modernized library and administration area. A staffroom and sports shed make up the balance of the buildings. All buildings are well maintained and have been completely modernised and remodelled through the Ministry of Education's Renewal Programme.
The school was established in 1871, as the Papanui District School, and celebrated its 125th jubilee in 1996. A past pupils association meets biennially and has maintained good links to the school.
Papanui receives strong and positive parental support from its community and this is reflected in the commitment shown by our Parent Teachers Association (PTA) and our Board of Trustees (BOT).
At Papanui education is viewed as an active partnership between home and school with families and teachers working together for the benefit of children's learning and development.
In their lifetimes our children will be presented with many challenges, opportunities and decisions. Being able to make good choices will assist them, in leading full lives, and in contributing meaningfully to a well functioning society.
We see the following qualities and abilities as crucial in preparing children for their future.
- Caring Citizens - respect each other and their world
- Thinkers - solve problems
- Communicators - share thoughts and ideas
- Resilient Learners -are positive, and keep trying
Features of our School
- Caring family atmosphere
- Whanau and buddy system
- Focus on individual learning needs
- Positive behaviour - A Peaceful and Purposeful Papanui
- Child centred, balanced learning programmes
- Learning model that promotes inquiry and thinking skills
- Perceptual Motor Programme (Year 1)
- Learning assisted by Information Technology
- Caring, supportive and enthusiastic teachers
- A team approach (parents, teachers, children)
- Reading Recovery programme
- A positive and happy learning environment
- High learning standards
- Senior sports and LEOTC programme
We have a dedicated team of people who make help Papanui a great place to be. We choose to be here and when it comes to the school vision we "walk the talk".
The Papanui Pathway
Kimihia te ara tōtika – seek the right path